About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Monday, July 21, 2014

White Wine Pasta Salad

When I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa, I completely changed my diet.  One thing I absolutely avoid is white pasta!  In my opinion, eating refined white flour/white pasta has zero health benefits and can actually negatively affect your health.  The problem with this, I love pasta!  However, I have found some healthier alternatives.  I now stick with 100% whole wheat pastas or pastas made with wheat flour versus white flour.  This pasta is actually made of semolina wheat flour which is made from durum wheat.


As a reminder, everyone reacts differently to different foods.  Some people have found wheat to be a "trigger" food for them.  I have never had a problem with wheat so this is a good alternative for me.  

Ingredients
1 package veggie rotini
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dill weed

  • Prepare pasta according to package.  Combine all spices in a small dish and stir together.  When pasta is cooked and drained, transfer to a large mixing bowl.  Add olive oil, white wine vinegar, onion, bell pepper and celery.  Add spice and mix thoroughly.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and serve.  



Extra Virgin Olive Oil:  Extra virgin olive oils have a phytonutrient called oleocanthal.  Studies have shown this natural phenolic compound reduces inflammation.  Extra virgin olive oils are also rich in antioxidants.

White Wine Vinegar:  White wine vinegar contains polyphenols an antioxidant which helps boost the immune system.  Studies have also shown that when you consume foods that are high in polyphenols you are less likely to have inflammatory diseases. 

Red Onion:  Red onions contain quercetin which has powerful antioxidants.  Quercetin is known to act like an anti-inflammatory by releasing histamine in the body.  Onions also contain chromium which help control the blood insulin levels.

Red Bell Pepper:  Red bell peppers are high in antioxidants which help boost the immune system, as well as supporting tissue health.  It is suggested that eating a diet high in antioxidants will help reduce inflammation.  Red bell peppers also contain carotenoids which help support the immune system.

Celery:  Celery contains coumarins which provides antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.  Celery is also high in many vitamins and minerals and helps improve the immune system.

Basil:  Basil is known to reduce inflammation and swelling.  It contains an oil eugenol which are known to have anti-inflammatory properties.  Basil is also rich in antioxidants which help support the immune system.

Dill Weed:  Dill weed has disease preventing properties.  Dill also helps with digestion and is a good source of minerals and vitamins.

Get $5 Off Plus Get 12% Off Your Next Order!



No comments:

Post a Comment