About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Healthy Eating

We have learned that Hidradenitis Suppurativa sufferers have different triggers and what causes a flare-up for one individual may or may not cause a flare-up in another individual.  However, one thing I think we can all agree on is maintaining a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle makes HS much more manageable.  This can propose quite a challenge if we do not know what a "healthy lifestyle" means.  I thought I would share some of the things I have learned along the way and  try to simplify it so we can all have a healthy lifestyle together!

A healthy diet consists of balancing three food groups.  These include carbohydrates, protein and fat.  How much of each of these food groups should we eat?  Nutrition experts suggest the following:

Carbohydrates 45%-65% of your total daily calories
Proteins 10%-35% of your total daily calories
Fats 20%-35% of your total daily calories



Carbohydrates provide your body with energy.  Good carbohydrates include brown rice, Quinoa, oats (oatmeal), vegetables, dark leafy greens, fruits, whole grains, and beans.  Be aware that there are good and bad carbohydrates.  When selecting carbohydrates it is best to select whole foods and avoid processed carbohydrates.  

Proteins in our body perform several crucial functions for survival such as maintaining tissues, production of enzymes and support for the immune system.  Proteins include lean turkey and chicken, fish such as salmon, nuts, seeds such as chia seeds, all natural peanut butter, fat-free Greek yogurt, beans such as black beans, chickpeas, and kidney beans.

Fats, good fats, help your body absorb vitamins and help protect vital organs.  Essential fatty acids such as Omega-3 fats cannot be made by the body.  Good fats include avocados, extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil, walnuts, peanuts, almonds, fatty fish such as salmon and tuna.  These fats are known as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.  It is important to avoid the bad fats such as trans fats and saturated fats.


DEFAULT BANNER 125x40

No comments:

Post a Comment