About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Monday, July 14, 2014

5% Benzoyl Peroxide

When I was first diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa, my dermatologist recommended a 5% or 10% Benzoyl Peroxide body wash.  Benzoyl peroxide can be used to decrease inflammation and reduce bacteria.  Benzoyl peroxide is said to reduce oil production which may lead to clogged hair follicles.  Due to benzoyl peroxide being an oxidizing agent it also helps move oxygen into clogged pores.  Benzoyl peroxide is considered an antibacterial agent, helping the skin to shed its dead surface.  This may help assist the pores from clogging. 

You can purchase a benzoyl peroxide body wash over the counter.  It is recommended to wash your skin with soap and water prior to using the benzoyl peroxide body wash.  Make sure to rinse the body wash off thoroughly because it can bleach your clothes.  As a matter of fact, I have several towels that are bleached due to not rinsing as well as I should. 

I use the benzoyl peroxide body wash in combination with a clindamycin gel daily.  Talk with your dermatologist and see if this could be an option for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment