About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Peanut Butter Bar

Research suggests that certain foods can contribute to Hidradenitis Suppurativa flare-ups.  For this reason, I have chosen to avoid refined sugars.  If I see added sugar or high fructose corn syrup in the ingredients, forget it!  The problem is, I have a sweet tooth!  Luckily, I found these peanut butter bars that can satisfy my cravings. 

Important:  It is very important to pay attention to what you are eating because certain foods may affect individuals differently.  I do not have a problem eating peanuts or peanut butter.  It does not trigger an inflammatory response; however, according to some it could have an inflammatory response.

Ingredients
3 tbsp. creamy or crunchy All Natural Peanut Butter (ingredients should read organic roasted peanuts and maybe salt)
3 tbsp. 100% Pure Honey
1/2 cup Oatmeal or Oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
  • Add peanut butter and honey to a bowl.  To soften you can put in the microwave for about 15 seconds.  Stir in the oats or oatmeal and cinnamon.  Wrap in foil and cool in the refrigerator approximately 2 hours. 


Peanut Butter:  Peanut butter is a great source of potassium which is known to improve health.  Decreased levels of potassium cause a drop in blood insulin levels.  Peanut butter is also a good source of fiber which may help maintain your blood insulin levels.  Fiber also helps move toxins out of your body which may prevent it from excretion through the skin. 

Honey:  Pure honey is a good alternative sweetener because it does not contain preservatives, additives or chemicals.  Honey is an antioxidant which helps remove free radicals from the body.  Honey is also loaded with vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, magnesium, manganese, and zinc (to name a few).  Some of these minerals have many anti-inflammatory benefits.

Oats:  Oats may help stabilize blood insulin levels along with boosting the immune system.  Oats contain avenanthrmides which have been shown to act as an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory. 

Cinnamon: Cinnamon is another great source to help with blood insulin control.  Cinnamon is also an antioxidant which helps fight off free radicals.  Cinnamon is rich in manganese, fiber and iron.  Many studies have been conducted surrounding cinnamon's anti-inflammatory benefits. 


 

Shop at Vitacost.com today and save up to 50%! Free shipping on orders over $49.

No comments:

Post a Comment