About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Chicken Scampi

Prior to being diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa, I had a magnetic recipe board on my fridge.  I would pin up little recipe label cards to display to remind me what was for dinner each day of the week.  After being diagnosed and deciding to completely change my diet, I remember sitting down looking through these cards.  It was overwhelming realizing that I could no longer cook 99% of the recipes I had.  I tried to get creative finding food substitutes.  Sometimes this worked, other times the recipe turned out horrible! My poor husband always had to be my Guinea pig!

One of my favorite recipes is chicken scampi.  However, I used to make this with tons of butter, white noodles and white bread crumbs to thicken up the sauce.  I try to avoid butter as much as possible.  I will occasionally use it for some recipes but it is few and far between.  I haven't touched white noodles since the day I changed my diet.  These refined carbohydrates can cause "bad" bacteria to grow in your gut.  Not to mention, it converts to sugar and causes a blood insulin spike which causes inflammation in the body.  I do not have a gluten intolerance and wheat is not a trigger for me, so I can eat 100% whole wheat.  It is a great source of fiber and manganese.  Depending on who you ask, it is a whole grain which digests slower minimizing the blood insulin spike which fights inflammation.  To make sure you are not getting the "unhealthy" wheat make sure it says 100% whole wheat.

I serve this with a heaping spinach and kale salad and use one of my homemade salad dressings.  As an HS sufferer, you have to make sure you get your greens!

Ingredients
100% whole wheat angel hair pasta
Chicken breasts, chopped
1/4 cup vegetarian no-chicken broth
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
Juice from 1 1/2 lemons
Capers to tastes (optional)
  • Cook angel hair pasta according to package and drain.  Meanwhile, add 1/8 cup olive oil to skillet on medium heat.  Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.  Add the chopped chicken and 1/4 cup no-chicken broth, sprinkle 1 tsp. garlic salt over chicken.  Add juice from 1 lemon and cook.  When 3-4 minutes are remaining add capers to taste. 
  • Add 1/8 cup olive oil, juice from 1/2 lemon and 1 tsp. garlic powder to angel hair pasta and stir.  Once chicken is cooked through add mixture to pasta.  Stir well and serve. 



Extra Virgin Olive Oil:  Extra virgin olive oils have a phytonutrient called oleocanthal.  Studies have shown this natural phenolic compound reduces inflammation.  Extra virgin olive oils are also rich in antioxidants.

Garlic: Garlic is another superfood that lowers blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugar.  Garlic also protects the liver and contains anti-tumor properties.  It has the ability of boosting the lymphatic system which functions as a defense in the immune system.  Garlic also reduces joint swelling and inflammation.

Lemon: Lemons are known to remove toxins from the body.  They help cleanse the kidneys and the digestive system.  They also strengthen the immune system which helps fight many illnesses.



Side Note:  I absolutely love my Lemon Juicer I use it for any recipe that calls for the juice of a lemon or lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment