About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Greek Vinaigrette Dressing

If you have Hidraenitis Suppurativa, it is imperative to eat your greens!  I love all kinds of salads.  I eat a lot of spinach, kale, and arugula.  If you pick the right greens you will get a healthy amount of vitamins such as vitamin A, C and K.  You will also gain health benefits from the minerals such as iron and copper.  A deficiency in iron can cause inflammation in the body, so eat up!  Cooper is also known as very beneficial mineral for wound healing.

Let's not spoil our healthy salad with a dressing loaded with preservatives and high fructose corn syrup.  This Greek vinaigrette dressing can be used as a salad dressing or a marinade.

Ingredients
1 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. sea salt
Juice from 1/2 lemon

  • Combine all ingredients and mix well.  


Red Wine Vinegar:  Red wine vinegar may help balance your blood insulin levels.  Red wine vinegar also assists with digestion allowing your body to absorb vitamins and minerals.  It is also known to help with inflammation.  

Extra Virgin Olive Oil:  Extra virgin olive oils have a phytonutrient called oleocanthal.  Studies have shown this natural phenolic compound reduces inflammation.  Extra virgin olive oils are also rich in antioxidants.

Basil:  Basil is known to reduce inflammation and swelling.  It contains an oil eugenol which are known to have anti-inflammatory properties.  Basil is also rich in antioxidants which help support the immune system.

Oregano: Oregano contains rosmarinic which is an antioxidant.  Oregano is also a good source of fiber, vitamins such as vitamin K and minerals such as manganese.

Lemon: Lemons are known to remove toxins from the body.  They help cleanse the kidneys and the digestive system.  They also strengthen the immune system which helps fight many illnesses.  The Ascorbic acid that is naturally in lemons also has anti-inflammatory properties.  

No comments:

Post a Comment