About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Turkey Lettuce Wraps

I have found that my diet is a major reason why my Hidradenitis Suppurativa has been in remission.  I believe eating foods that are anti-inflammatory, high in antioxidants and loaded with nutrients will help boost the immune system and will decrease the amount of flare-ups.  I used to love soft tacos and I would eat a lot of white tortillas.  I completely avoid whites now such as white flour, white bread, white rice and yes, white tortillas.  I had to find a substitute and decided to give lettuce wraps a try.  I was quite surprised, I loved them!  Here is a very quick turkey lettuce wrap recipe that is loaded with flavor.  I combine this with a large spinach salad using the homemade sesame dressing.

Ingredients
99% fat-free lean ground turkey
1 head of iceberg lettuce
1/4 cup vegetarian no-chicken broth
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Taco Seasoning
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. oregano

  • Add olive oil, no-chicken broth and turkey to skillet over medium heat.  In a separate dish combine taco seasoning and mix well.  Sprinkle seasoning over turkey and let turkey cook until done.  
  • Meanwhile prepare the head of lettuce by rinsing thoroughly and cutting off the stem.  Peel away layers for wraps.  


Iceberg Lettuce:  While dark green leafy lettuce has more nutritional value, iceberg lettuce still is a good source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B6 and  thiamine which helps promote skin health.  

Extra Virgin Olive Oil:  Extra virgin olive oils have a phytonutrient called oleocanthal.  Studies have shown this natural phenolic compound reduces inflammation.  Extra virgin olive oils are also rich in antioxidants. 


Chili Powder:  Chili powder is high in potassium which helps with the digestive process.  Chili powder is also a great source of vitamin A which helps your body create white blood cells (leukocytes).  White blood cells help fight off infections in the body.  

Cumin:  Cumin contains vitamin E and is known to treat skin disorders as well as boils.  This may be due to cumin being known as a detoxifying agent.  Cumin also has disinfectant properties which fight the free radicals that attack the skin. 

Paprika:  Paprika has antibacterial properties and is said to be good for skin problems caused by bacteria.  Paprika is also loaded with antioxidants and is has been reported to possess anti-inflammatory properties which may be beneficial to individuals with autoimmune or inflammatory diseases.  

Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: Red pepper flakes contain capsaicin which have anti-inflammatory properties.  Red pepper flakes are also an antioxidant which help protect our bodies from free radicals.  

Oregano: Oregano contains rosmarinic which is an antioxidant.  Oregano is also a good source of fiber, vitamins such as vitamin K and minerals such as manganese.

Get your New Skillet Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment