About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Tomato Basil Shrimp

When I first found out I had Hidradenitis Suppurativa, I learned that it is very beneficial to consume Omega-3 fatty acids.  I was never a big fan of fish or seafood so I had to do a few cooking experiments to try and find flavors I wouldn't mind eating.  Here is a shrimp recipe that has a delicious tomato basil sauce.  I served mine with a big salad and garlic asparagus.

Ingredients
1 bag shrimp, frozen (pre-cooked)
1/2 cup no-chicken broth
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tbsp. basil
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 can tomato paste, no sugar
1 cup brown rice
  • Add olive oil, 1/4 cup no-chicken broth and garlic to a pot over medium heat for approx. 3-4 minutes.  Combine 1 tbsp. basil, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. garlic salt and 1/2 of the can of tomato paste.  Add in shrimp and cook.  Add additional no-chicken broth if needed.
  • Meanwhile, prepare brown rice according to package. 
  • In a separate small pot add remaining 1/4 cup no-chicken broth, 1/2 tbsp. basil, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. garlic salt and the remaining tomato paste.  Cook on medium heat until heated through. 
  • Combine sauce mixture with cooked brown rice and mix well. 
  • Serve shrimp over rice.  Enjoy!


Shrimp:  Shrimp is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids which helps reduce inflammation.  Shrimp also contains selenium which has antioxidant effects, boosting the immune system and fights against free radicals in the body.  

Extra Virgin Olive Oil:  Extra virgin olive oils have a phytonutrient called oleocanthal.  Studies have shown this natural phenolic compound reduces inflammation.  Extra virgin olive oils are also rich in antioxidants.

Garlic: Garlic is another superfood that lowers blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugar.  Garlic also protects the liver and contains anti-tumor properties.  It has the ability of boosting the lymphatic system which functions as a defense in the immune system.  Garlic also reduces joint swelling and inflammation.

Basil:  Basil is known to reduce inflammation and swelling.  It contains an oil eugenol which are known to have anti-inflammatory properties.  Basil is also rich in antioxidants which help support the immune system.

Brown Rice:  Brown rice is another food rich in selenium which has antioxidant effects.  Brown rice also helps stabilize your blood insulin levels due to the slow release of glucose into the bloodstream.  


icon

No comments:

Post a Comment