About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Omega-6 Fatty Acids and Omega-3 Fatty Acids Ratio

We have all heard of good and bad fats.  As a Hidradenitis Suppurativa sufferer, I have found it imperative to avoid the bad fats such as saturated and trans fat.  Not to mention that these bad fats increase the risk of many diseases.  More importantly it is imperative to consume proper amounts of the good fats (essential fatty acids) because our bodies cannot produce them on their own.  There are two different types of essential fatty acids; omega-3 and omega-6 and our bodies need them both.  Here is where it gets a little a sticky.  Research suggests that over consumption of omega-6 fatty acids and not enough omega-3 fatty acids promotes inflammation and many other diseases such as autoimmune diseases.  The average American diet consists of a 15:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids.  While additional research needs to be done, the ideal ratio should range from 1:1 to 4:1.  Why?

Omega-6 fatty acids contain linoleic acid which is necessary for optimal health.  However, Omega-6's also contain arachidonic acid which is also necessary for our body, but too much has been known to cause inflammation.  So what should we do?  We should cut back on the consumption of omega-6's and continue focusing on the powerful anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3's such as salmon, walnuts, and chia seeds (here is a quick way to enjoy some chia seeds).  Avoiding foods that are processed, vegetable oils and fast foods will help you cut back on omega-6 fatty acids.  Some of the omega-6's that I choose to eat are sunflower seeds and nuts.

Ultimately, it is all about finding an appropriate balance to maintain a healthy immune system, decrease the severity of current diseases, eliminate risk of future diseases and promote anti-inflammatory responses.

icon

Buy your Super Omega-3 Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment