About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Turkey Burger

My husband and I have season tickets to the Denver Broncos!  GO BRONCOS!!  We tailgate for every single home game.  We are actually the first people in our parking lot for every game.  Every year, right before the start of the season, we organize our tailgate supplies and pre-plan our tailgate meals.  When I was first diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa, all the fun was taken out of planning our tailgate meals.  We used to eat French dips, bratwurst's, and hot wings.  I was so sad looking at the previous years menu items knowing I would have to change everything!  However, the more comfortable I got with the foods I could and could not eat, it helped re-energize my excitement for tailgating again.  I now have several different tailgate meals that are delicious and it helps that they are much healthier too!

Thursday, August 7th, the Broncos played their first pre-season game against Seattle.  I enjoyed a yummy turkey burger with a large salad.  The bun brand is Ezekiel made of sprouted grains which I picked up at Sprouts Market.


This is a pre-made turkey burger (to save time), but the only ingredients are turkey, kosher salt, and rosemary extract.  I also found these at Sprouts Market.  The brand is Bubba Burger.  

      

Ingredients
Turkey Burgers
Greek Vinaigrette Dressing, homemade (click the name for the recipe)
Ezekiel bun
Spring lettuce mix
Kidney beans
Sunflower Seeds
Walnuts, chopped

  • Grill turkey breast, add Greek vinaigrette dressing to turkey burger while grilling.  Meanwhile prepare your salad adding kidney beans, sunflower seeds and chopped walnuts in a Tupperware container.  Add 1 tbsp. Greek vinaigrette dressing.  Close Tupperware container and shake salad mixture well.  Add additional dressing if needed.  
  • Add Greek vinaigrette dressing to the the Ezekiel bun for flavor.  Once turkey is done, add Turkey to bun.  Viola!

Kidney Beans:  Kidney beans are an excellent source of folate and fiber which may help move toxins out of your body.  It has been suggested that diets high in fiber help prevent toxins from being discharged through the skin.  Kidney beans are also an excellent antioxidant which helps boost the immune system.   Kidney beans have also been known to reduce chronic inflammation.

Sunflower Seeds:  Sunflower seeds contain vitamin E which is very beneficial for a strong immune system and healthy skin.  They also are loaded with antioxidants and ease conditions related to inflammation such as skin eruptions.  

Walnuts:  Walnuts contain powerful antioxidants and studies suggest they help reduce inflammation.  An additional study found that walnuts can help reduce damage caused by stress by lowering blood pressure responses related to stress.  

GREEK VINAIGRETTE DRESSING

Red Wine Vinegar:  Red wine vinegar may help balance your blood insulin levels.  Red wine vinegar also assists with digestion allowing your body to absorb vitamins and minerals.  It is also known to help with inflammation.  

Extra Virgin Olive Oil:  Extra virgin olive oils have a phytonutrient called oleocanthal.  Studies have shown this natural phenolic compound reduces inflammation.  Extra virgin olive oils are also rich in antioxidants.

Basil:  Basil is known to reduce inflammation and swelling.  It contains an oil eugenol which are known to have anti-inflammatory properties.  Basil is also rich in antioxidants which help support the immune system.

Oregano: Oregano contains rosmarinic which is an antioxidant.  Oregano is also a good source of fiber, vitamins such as vitamin K and minerals such as manganese.

Lemon: Lemons are known to remove toxins from the body.  They help cleanse the kidneys and the digestive system.  They also strengthen the immune system which helps fight many illnesses.  The Ascorbic acid that is naturally in lemons also has anti-inflammatory properties.  


icon

Buy your new GRILL today!

No comments:

Post a Comment