About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Quinoa with Balsamic Vinegar

The first time I heard of Quinoa, I avoided it because I thought it would be complicated to make.  I could not have been more wrong!  If you have never made quinoa it is very similar to making rice.  You simply heat 2 cups of water to 1 cup of Quinoa until boiling.  Once the quinoa begins to boil, turn the burner to low and cover.  Let simmer for 20 minutes.  Viola!  There are so many different ways to make quinoa, not to mention the incredible health benefits!  Here is a delicious quinoa recipe that is not only easy to make, but offers many health benefits.

Ingredients
1 cup Quinoa
1 can kidney beans, no sugar
1/4 cup Feta cheese
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. chia seeds
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne
  • Cook quinoa according to package
  • Meanwhile soak chia seeds in balsamic vinegar for approximately 10 minutes so they gelatinize.
  • Mix all ingredients together.  Can be served warm or chilled.  


Quinoa with Balsamic Vinegar


Quinoa: Quinoa is high in anti-inflammatory phytonutrients and minerals such as manganese and magnesium.  The anti-inflammatory properties in quinoa make it beneficial in disease treatment and prevention.  Quinoa is a complete source of protein containing all nine essential amino acids.

Kidney Beans:  Kidney beans are an excellent source of folate and fiber which may help move toxins out of your body.  It has been suggested that diets high in fiber help prevent toxins from being discharged through the skin.  Kidney beans are also an excellent antioxidant which helps boost the immune system.   Kidney beans have also been known to reduce chronic inflammation.

Balsamic Vinegar:  Balsamic vinegar contains antioxidants which help restore damage caused by free radicals as well as help boost the immune system.  Balsamic vinegar also helps regulate blood sugar levels.  

Garlic: Garlic is another superfood that lowers blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugar.  Garlic also protects the liver and contains anti-tumor properties.  It has the ability of boosting the lymphatic system which functions as a defense in the immune system.  Garlic also reduces joint swelling and inflammation.

Chia Seeds:  Chia seeds are loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids.  Omega-3 fatty acids act as an anti-inflammatory and may help reduce the risk of several diseases.  Chia seeds are also a great source of protein and help stabilize blood glucose levels.  They are rich in antioxidants that help protect our bodies from free radicals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment