About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Amazing Benefits of Pistachios

One of my favorite afternoon snacks is a  handful of pistachios.  I was actually quite surprised to find the many health benefits from this tiny superfood!


Day 25: Amazing Benefits of Pistachios

Pistachios:  What I love most about pistachios is that they contain anti-inflammatory properties.  Pistachios also contain vitamin E, an antioxidant, which helps maintain healthy skin.  As a Hidradenitis Suppurativa sufferer, I believe vitamin E is crucial in our diets to help prevent future flare-ups.  Additionally, pistachios are a good source of vitamin B6.  Research has shown that a deficiency in vitamin B6 leads to inflammation of the skin.  Not to mention that vitamin B6 helps boost the immune system.  Pistachios also contain phytosterols which have been shown to lower your risk of Alzheimer's disease.  A diet high in phytosterols also help you absorb less cholesterol which can help lower your risk of heart disease. 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog! I really love pistachios. I should add them into my menu :) Did you try blueberries? They are source of antioxidants and have big anti-inflammatory effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! I LOVE blueberries. I often add them to my morning oatmeal or blend them in one of my NutriBullet recipes :)

      Delete