About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

White Wine Lemon Broccoli Slaw



I recently came across an article in one of the health magazines discussing the health benefits of broccoli slaw.  I am almost ashamed to admit, I had never even heard of broccoli slaw.  So if you are like me, broccoli slaw can usually be found at your local grocery store by the salads and pre-cut vegetables in the plastic containers.

After finding out broccoli slaw's many health benefits; especially related to Hidradenitis Suppurativa, I decided to start experimenting.  I should also add that my husband cannot stand the flavor of broccoli; however, broccoli slaw does not have that strong broccoli so I can actually get him to eat it.  Here is one of my many experiments with broccoli slaw that it is a great side dish or on-the-go snack to take to work.

Ingredients
2-3 cups broccoli slaw
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic salt

  • Combine all ingredients.  In a closed container, shake well.
  • Refrigerate and serve.


White Wine Lemon Broccoli Slaw



Broccoli:  Broccoli contains sulforaphane which helps repair damage to skin.  Broccoli is also an anti-inflammatory.  Eating broccoli has been linked to preventing Alzheimer's disease, colon cancer, arthritis and heart disease.  

White Wine Vinegar:  White wine vinegar contains polyphenols an antioxidant which helps boost the immune system.  Studies have also shown that when you consume foods that are high in polyphenols you are less likely to have inflammatory diseases.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil:  Extra virgin olive oils have a phytonutrient called oleocanthal.  Studies have shown this natural phenolic compound helps fight inflammation.  Extra virgin olive oils are also rich in antioxidants which helps boost the immune system. 

Lemon: Lemons are known to remove toxins from the body.  They help cleanse the kidneys and the digestive system.  They also strengthen the immune system which helps fight many illnesses.

Garlic: Not only does garlic contain anti-inflammatory properties, garlic is what I consider a superfood.  It lowers blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugar.  Garlic also protects the liver and contains anti-tumor properties.  It has the ability of boosting the lymphatic system which functions as a defense in the immune system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment