About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Friday, March 25, 2016

Positive Progress

I had a question come through my blog recently asking me if changing my diet has worked for me, as well as, asking about my progress.  I thought this would be a great opportunity to share what I have been doing these past 3 years and 3 months!  First and foremost, I am so happy to report that since January 2013, when I changed my diet, I have not had another flare-up.  There have been times where I thought I may be getting a flare-up, but I literally follow a systematic protocol.

Read my post Uh-Oh flare-up to see my protocol.

I hear a lot of you saying that you feel discouraged and have lost hope, but I am here to tell you that changing my diet has truly changed my life and I believe it can change yours too!  You all know how painful Hidradenitis Suppurativa is and how debilitating it can be.  If you have not already, I personally want to encourage you to try to change your diet and see if it works for you.  Just keep your head up and don't give up if you have set backs!

In several posts, I have discussed my diet, but basically, I try to avoid anything with added sugars and eat as natural as possible (no artificial flavors or preservatives).  I stay away from "whites" such as, white flour (I use brown rice flour), white rice (I use brown rice or quinoa), and white pastas (I use 100% whole wheat pasta).  It is amazing all the substitutes you can find for recipes when you start to explore.

I am also a big believer in my clindamycin gel that I use every morning (under my armpits) prior to putting on deodorant.  I would strongly recommend you talk with your dermatologist and see if this is an option for you.  I use this as a preventive measure.

I live my life as normal as possible!  I never forget that I have Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, it does not consume me any longer!  I have taken control of this nasty disease and I hope my words and encouragement will help you do the same!

My birthday "cake" this year....a Papaya!  Delicious!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy! I just found your blog ~
    I had a quick question, do you have a list of supplements you take daily or just when you see a flare up?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brain, I have changed up my supplements quite a bit, but the last year I have focused on anti-inflammatory supplements or supplements good for the skin. I take the following daily: Turmeric (450mg), Fish oil, a low dose vitamin E, Vitamin D (because I'm deficient) and vitamin B12 (again because I am deficient). If I feel like I may be getting a flare up, I take zinc (50mg) until it subsides. These supplements were recommended to me, so make sure you check with your doctor before starting any supplements.

      Delete