About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Monday, January 9, 2017

Chicken and Vegetable Soup

Is your body in need of a detox?  Maintaining a body free of toxins and free radicals just may be the key ingredient to preventing Hidradenitis Suppurative and remaining flare-up free!  Here is one of my favorite crock-pot chicken soups that will help flush the body and give you a healthy boost!

Ingredients
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
2 quarts vegetarian no-chicken broth (I use the Imagine brand)
1 red onion, chopped
1 cup frozen peas (most canned peas have sugar so make to read the ingredient label - peas only!)
2-3 cups broccoli
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery
3-4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup chopped parsley, fresh
3 tablespoons grated ginger
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste

  • Combine all ingredients in a crock-pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is cooked through.
  • Break up chicken, stir and enjoy!


Red Onion:  Red onions contain quercetin which has powerful antioxidants.  Quercetin is known to act like an anti-inflammatory by releasing histamine in the body.  Onions also contain chromium which help control the blood insulin levels.

Peas: Peas are an excellent source of fiber which also helps with digestion.  Peas contain nutrients such as folate, vitamin B6 and vitamin C which are great for the skin.  Peas are also a great source for blood sugar regulation.  

Broccoli: Broccoli contains sulforaphane which helps repair damage to skin.  Broccoli is also an anti-inflammatory.  Eating broccoli has been linked to preventing Alzheimer's disease, colon cancer, arthritis and heart disease. 

Carrots:  Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A which helps prevent acne, blemishes and may help repair damage to skin.  Vitamin A also helps assist the liver with the detoxification process.  

Celery: Celery is an antioxidant that is an excellent anti-inflammatory food.  Recent research found more than 20 anti-inflammatory compounds in celery!  

Garlic: Not only does garlic contain anti-inflammatory properties, garlic is what I consider a superfood.  It lowers blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugar.  Garlic also protects the liver and contains anti-tumor properties.  It has the ability of boosting the lymphatic system which functions as a defense in the immune system. 

Parsley: Parsley contains natural chemicals called phytonutrients, specifically flavonoids, which help prevent unnecessary inflammation throughout the body.  The oil in parsley has been known to decrease swelling and pain.  Parsley also contains histidine, an amino acid which helps with wound healing and helps repair tissue damage.  Parsley is also high in mineral content such as magnesium and zinc.  Magnesium is a common mineral that is lacking in our bodies.  A diet deficient in magnesium can cause inflammation.  Zinc has many anti-inflammatory benefits such has helping remove substances that cause inflammation in the cells.  Parsley is also high in vitamin C which boosts the immune system.  A strong immune system helps fight inflammatory disorders. 

Ginger: Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, antioxidant effects and is a natural painkiller.  Ginger is also said to help reduce the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  If Hidradenitis Suppurativa is linked to Alzheimer's Disease as some studies suggest, eating ginger may help protect against Alzheimer's by slowing down the loss of brain cells.  Try the Sesame Garlic Dressing!

Apple Cider Vinegar: High cholesterol is known to cause inflammation.  Apple cider vinegar not only helps regulate blood pressure, but also helps balance cholesterol.  Apple cider vinegar also has anti-bacterial properties which can help clear up skin conditions.


Turmeric:  Turmeric contains curcumin which is incredibly anti-inflammatory.  It is also a wonderful antioxidant.  And yes, another brain food!  Brain diseases, such as Alzheimer's, have been linked to lower levels of the BDNF hormone.  The curcumin in turmeric has been shown to increase the BDNF hormone which may help with brain function.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, i really appreciate Your blogs and have found it very useful. I just wanted to ask,how often do you have breakouts nowadays has it been 100% breakout free since you've started the diet changes or do you still get some now and again? Once again thank you and appreciate the info you put out, it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I have been very blessed and have not had another flare-up since I started my diet changes. However, I will say that there have been times (when I "cheat" - eat too much sugar, etc.) I have felt a flare-up trying to begin. When this happens, I immediately go into "detox" mode. If I have not been taking my Turmeric, I take a Turmeric, drink my parsley tea, soak in an Epsom salt bath and use my clindamycin lotion twice a day. I also make sure to eat VERY clean! So far, this has worked for me. I'm so happy to hear that my blog has been useful!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your reply. I can tell you that your blog has helped me tremendously and i pray that you and your family have the best of of everything.

    ReplyDelete