About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Friday, June 3, 2016

Hormonal Imbalance

Do you suffer from hidradenitis suppurativa?  I was diagnosed with HS January 2013.  I strongly believe that diet and hormonal imbalance can play a significant role in HS flare-ups.  If you have followed my posts, you know that I have completely changed my diet to help with my HS symptoms.  I am very happy to report that since my diet changes and other lifestyle changes, I have not had another flare-up!

Part of my lifestyle changes include consistently researching ways to improve my diet and/or my health.  I am 37 years old and I'm starting to notice some of the God-given changes that come with aging.  This has led me to focus more and more on my hormones.  If you have not read my post on hormones and hidradenitis suppurativa, I recommend it!  I am a strong believer that hormonal imbalances can trigger HS and this post has a few tips that you may find useful.

There are many ways to balance hormones naturally:

  • Sleeping 7-8 hours
  • Adequate exercise
  • Taking a probiotic
  • Proper amount of Omega 3 vs. Omega 6
  • Limiting caffeine
  • Diet!!!!  Avoiding processed and fried foods.

To take the hormonal imbalance research a little further, I started focusing on my household cleaning products, soap, shampoo and conditioner.  Did you know that research suggests that ingredients in these products contain toxic chemicals and hormone disrupting chemicals?  To help balance my hormones naturally, there are several ingredients that I am choosing to avoid.  So where did I start?  Any product containing sodium lauryl sulfate or propylene glycol, I started replacing them!  Why?

Propylene Glycol - Propylene Glycol is often used in products that can be absorbed through application to the skin (shampoos, soaps, laundry detergent, etc). Not to mention, it is also added to foods.
  • Studies have found that Propylene Glycol can cause skin, liver and kidney damage.  
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - SLS is a surfactant commonly used in cosmetic agents and household cleaning products.  According to the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Reviews, the use of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate has been linked to the following: 
  • Endocrine disruption - The endocrine system produces hormones that regulate metabolism, mood, and tissue function.  The endocrine system affects almost every cell and organ in the body.  When the endocrine system does not work effectively, hormonal diseases can occur such as diabetes, hypoglycemia, and thyroid disease.  Other disorders of the endocrine system have been linked to hidradenitis suppurativa such as acne.  I believe a disruption of the endocrine system is linked to hidradenitis suppurativa.  
  • Toxicity to the organs
  • Irritation of the eyes and skin


Why not give it a shot!  If it doesn't help your Hidradenitis Suppurativa, at least you are improving your health!

2 comments:

  1. This is so useful, thank you. I'm 99% following AIP and am so nearly there but not quite. So looking at other factors is great.
    Just to say I love your positive upbeat approach, even down to your blog name. It's so easy to be glass half empty with this disease but you've steered away from that.
    Thanks for being another inspiration! 😊
    Soph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such wonderful information! Always, keep a healthy life by consuming healthy food, doing exercise regularly, and think positively. Have a good day everyone!

    ReplyDelete