About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Moroccan Spice Salmon

I have been trying to squeeze in salmon once a week.  I have never been a big fish person and I was told this is a good fish to start with.  I am going to branch out to other fish eventually, I promise!  In the meantime, as a Hidradenitis Suppurativa sufferer I know I am doing my body good with salmon!  It is superfood when you think of anti-inflammatory foods.  Here is a recipe with a little bit of Moroccan spice.

Ingredients
Fillet of Salmon
2 tbsp. nonfat Greek yogurt
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice from 1 lemon
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

***Preheat to broil on High

  • In a bowl, mix together all ingredients and let salmon sit in sauce for approximately 30 minutes.  
  • Spray olive oil in a baking dish, place salmon in dish and cover with sauce mixture.  
  • Broil for 10-13 minutes based on the thickness of the salmon.  



Salmon:  Salmon is a great source of omega-3s which contain anti-inflammatory properties.  Salmon is also rich in selenium which helps boost the immune system fighting bacterial and viral infections.  Salmon also contains vitamin A which helps your body create white blood cells (leukocytes) which also help fight off infection in the body.

Parsley: Parsley contains natural chemicals called phytonutrients, specifically flavonoids, which help prevent unnecessary inflammation throughout the body.  The oil in parsley has been known to decrease swelling and pain.  Parsley also contains histidine, an amino acid which helps with wound healing and helps repair tissue damage.  Parsley is also high in mineral content such as magnesium and zinc.  Magnesium is a common mineral that is lacking in our bodies.  A diet deficient in magnesium can cause inflammation.  Zinc has many anti-inflammatory benefits such has helping remove substances that cause inflammation in the cells.  Parsley is also high in vitamin C which boosts the immune system.  A strong immune system helps fight inflammatory disorders.  There are many more benefits, but I think you get the point!

Cilantro:  Cilantro is loaded with antioxidants which boosts the immune system.  It also helps with digestion.  Cilantro is also a good source of omega-3s which contain anti-inflammatory properties.  

Lemon: Lemons are known to remove toxins from the body.  They help cleanse the kidneys and the digestive system.  They also strengthen the immune system which helps fight many illnesses.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil:  Extra virgin olive oils have a phytonutrient called oleocanthal.  Studies have shown this natural phenolic compound helps fight inflammation.  Extra virgin olive oils are also rich in antioxidants which helps boost the immune system.

Garlic: Garlic is another superfood that lowers blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugar.  Garlic also protects the liver and contains anti-tumor properties.  It has the ability of boosting the lymphatic system which functions as a defense in the immune system.  Garlic also reduces joint swelling and inflammation.

Paprika:  Paprika has antibacterial properties and is said to be good for skin problems caused by bacteria.  Paprika is also loaded with antioxidants and is has been reported to possess anti-inflammatory properties which may be beneficial to individuals with autoimmune or inflammatory diseases.  

Cumin:  Cumin contains vitamin E and is known to treat skin disorders as well as boils.  This may be due to cumin being known as a detoxifying agent.  Cumin also has disinfectant properties which fight the free radicals that attack the skin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment