About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Cleanse your Body!

Do you suffer from Hidradenitis Suppurativa?  If so, you may want to consider the following.  It has worked for me!

Every single day our body is trying to eliminate toxins, harmful substances within our body.  Fortunately, our body naturally detoxifies/eliminates using the kidneys and liver.  However, if the liver is overloaded, it is not able to properly detoxify.  Not only does this affect our immune system which leads to several diseases, it can also create digestive problems, food intolerances, inflammation and skin conditions.  Why skin conditions?  The body is trying to release these toxins and it will find a different route for elimination.  Often times, this route will be through the skin! 
So how does our liver become overloaded?  There are several things that can cause this such as increased hormone levels, sugars, food additives, preservatives, and processed foods.  We have all heard about "detox" diets or "cleansing" diets, but I firmly believe that we should try to keep our body clean every single day.  So how do we do this?  Diet changes are imperative (see My HS Story)!  

Here are a few lifestyle changes that may help your HS go into remission as it has mine.
  •   Keep your liver healthy by eating liver-friendly foods.
    • The liver produces glutathione which acts as an antioxidant and is effective for detoxification.  However, toxins deplete glutathione so it is important to consume foods that will help boost glutathione levels such as garlic, cruciferous veggies, onions, cinnamon, and parsley to name a few. 
    • I drink parsley tea at least 3 times a week!  
  • Find a way to reduce stress! 
    • I take an Epsom salt bath at least 2 times a week.  Not only do Epsom salt baths help me relax, Epsom salt contains magnesium which absorbs through the body to help remove toxins.
  • Incorporate Turmeric into your diet. 
    • Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory and also helps increase the glutathione level. 
  • Incorporate Ginger into your diet.
    • Ginger has gingerols which contain anti-inflammatory properties that help with digestion and detoxification.  A healthy digestive system will move food through the intestines smoothly and reduce the build up of toxins in the body. 
    • I eat a homemade Sesame Garlic Dressing which contains 1 tsp. of ginger. 
    • Occasionally I start my morning off with a ginger water (1 tsp. of ginger, juice from 1/2 lemon and water).  
  • Eat foods high in fiber such as beans (kidney beans, black beans, etc.), broccoli, cauliflower, figs, avocado, fresh fruits (raspberries, pears), chia seeds, and oatmeal.
  • Drink plenty of water!
  • Take a probiotic.
    • Probiotics are "healthy" bacteria which promote digestion and help detoxify the body.
    • I choose a liquid probiotic.
  • AVOID:  added sugars (white sugar, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners).  
For me, it is about trying to keep my body healthy and "clean".  I try to avoid anything that will build up additional toxins in my body.  Every day should be a detox.   

No comments:

Post a Comment