About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Ginger Lime Coleslaw

As a Hidradenitis Suppurativa sufferer, to keep my HS in remission I have completely changed my diet.  I try to eat as natural as possible, focusing on whole foods and avoiding processed foods.  Cabbage in coleslaw has so many health benefits; however, it is usually made with mayonnaise which defeats the purpose.  I found this ginger lime coleslaw which offers so many health benefits, does not contain mayonnaise and is delicious!

Ingredients
1 bag coleslaw
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp ginger, minced
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
Juice from 1 lime
1/2 tsp sea salt

  • Combine all ingredients and serve :)

Ginger Lime Coleslaw


Cabbage:  Cabbage is an anti-inflammatory and is a good source of vitamin D which helps heal skin wounds.  Cabbage also has vitamin B which will help with energy levels.  Cabbage also contains an ingredient, sulforaphane, which helps fight infection.  Cabbage is also a great detoxifying vegetable.  

Rice Wine Vinegar:  Rice wine vinegar helps with blood sugar levels in the body.  It is also believed that rice wine vinegar increases the body's ability to absorb nutrients.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil:  Extra virgin olive oils have a phytonutrient called oleocanthal.  Studies have shown this natural phenolic compound helps fight inflammation.  Extra virgin olive oils are also rich in antioxidants which helps boost the immune system. 

Honey:  Pure honey is a good alternative sweetener because it does not contain preservatives, additives or chemicals.  Honey is an antioxidant which helps remove free radicals from the body.  Honey is also loaded with vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, magnesium, manganese, and zinc (to name a few).  Some of these minerals have many anti-inflammatory benefits.

Ginger: Ginger has antioxidant effects, anti-inflammatory properties and is a natural painkiller.

Red Onion:  Red onions contain quercetin which has powerful antioxidants.  Quercetin is known to act like an anti-inflammatory by releasing histamine in the body.  Onions also contain chromium which help control the blood insulin levels.

Lime:  Limes are high antioxidants and effective detoxifiers.  They have an antibiotic effect which helps protect against bad bacteria.  Limes have powerful digestive properties and help treat inflammatory disorders.  

2 comments: