About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Say Hello to the Morning with Cabbage

I was cutting my cabbage for one of my morning drink recipes and looked down and saw a heart, see it?!.  I thought, hmmmm.....how fitting for a Valentine's Day post :)


Day 23: Say Hello to the Morning with Cabbage

Did you know that cabbage offers a multitude of health benefits?  For those of you that have followed my posts know that I believe food can be used as a healing power to cure our body.  I am a big believer in anti-inflammatory foods to help keep my Hidradenitis Suppurativa in remission, as well as, focusing on foods high in antioxidants.  Well you guessed it, cabbage is both!

Research suggests that inflammation in our body can wreak havoc on our immune system leading to many autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and Crohn's disease.  Additionally, more and more research is suggesting that chronic inflammation leads to Hidradenitis Suppurativa. So, here is why I eat cabbage.


Cabbage: As mentioned above, cabbage is very rich in antioxidants.  It contains a large amount of vitamin C and vitamin K.  Vitamin K has been shown to reduce your risk of Alzheimer's disease as well as the risk of getting diabetes. Not to mention, numerous research studies have found cabbage to be one of the top cancer prevention vegetables.  Cabbage also contains polyphenols which provide anti-inflammatory properties.  Other studies have suggested that consuming cabbage can help heal your digestive tract (leaky gut) and promotes healthy kidney function.  Consuming cabbage can also be a natural detox removing toxins from the body.  Cabbage is also a great food source for a healthy complexion and has been shown to increase energy levels.  

I have an amazing friend that bought me a NutriBullet.  I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this thing.  What a great way to incorporate your fruits and vegetables in your daily routine.  Here is what I made for my cabbage drink.

Ingredients
1 cup of chopped cabbage (or enough to fill 1/2 NutriBullet)
1/2 red apple
1 lemon
1 tbsp. ginger 

  • Blend until smooth and enjoy :)

There are different types of cabbage such as red, green and Savoy so eat your cabbage in a variety.  

1 comment:

  1. DIDNT KNOW CABBAGE HAD SO MANY HEALTH BENEFITS!!

    I SAW THAT YOUR TRYING TO RAISE AWARENESS FOR THIS ILLNESS SO I DECIDED TO ALSO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

    CHECK OUT MY TWITTER PAGE, WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!

    https://twitter.com/hidradenitis123

    PEACE & BLESSINGS

    ReplyDelete