About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Amy. I was diagnosed with Hidradenitis Suppurativa in January 2013. I am not an expert when it comes to Hidradenitis Suppurativa; however, I have found a way to put my HS in remission. I must stress this is what has worked for me and I understand each individual is different. My hope is to share my experiences with you to see if I can help you begin the healing process and put your HS in remission! Click on My Hidradenitis Suppurativa Story to learn more.

Monday, February 16, 2015

Pulled Chicken

I love a pulled chicken or pulled pork sandwich; however, finding a barbecue sauce that is not loaded with high fructose corn syrup or tons of added preservatives can be tricky.  I have tried a couple of homemade barbeque sauces that I have not been too fond of, until now. 

Hence the word 'pulled', this recipe is slow-cooked in the crock pot. 

Ingredients
Chicken breasts
1 can tomato sauce, no sugar added
3/4 cup applesauce, no sugar added
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • Combine all ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  • Shred chicken with a fork and serve.
I enjoyed mine with a 'Sprouted Grain Burger Bun made by Ezekiel 4:9'.  I choose to avoid all white breads, so this is a delicious alternative. 

**If you have found that you are sensitive to nightshades, this is not a good recipe for you since paprika is considered a nightshade. 


Pulled Chicken



Tomato Sauce:  Tomato sauce can be very good for you if you avoid added sugars and other additives in the ingredients.  Tomatoes contain powerful antioxidants such as lycopene which may prevent formation of free radicals.  Tomato sauce also contains another powerful antioxidant glutathione.  Glutathione helps boost the immune system and prevent disease. 

Garlic Powder:  You may be surprised to find out that garlic powder offers the same benefits of garlic.  Garlic powder is simply the powdered form of garlic.  Not only does it contain anti-inflammatory properties, it also lowers blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugar.  Garlic also protects the liver and contains anti-tumor properties.  It has the ability of boosting the lymphatic system which functions as a defense in the immune system.

Chili Powder:  Chili powder is high in potassium which helps with the digestive process.  Chili powder is also a great source of vitamin A which helps your body create white blood cells (leukocytes).  White blood cells help fight off infections in the body.

Paprika:  Paprika has antibacterial properties and is said to be good for skin problems caused by bacteria.  Paprika is also loaded with antioxidants and is has been reported to possess anti-inflammatory properties which may be beneficial to individuals with autoimmune or inflammatory diseases.  

No comments:

Post a Comment